8.12.2015

a starry summer night


it was the second to last night we spent in the states this summer, our last night at Husband's childhood home. shooting the night sky from his yard had been on my to-do list for years but I had never quite managed it.

we came home late from a friend's house, exhausted and emotionally charged, knowing that the next day was our last before traveling back to Taiwan. we got out of the car and happened to look up before heading inside. a moonless sky glittered with stars above us.


it was just after midnight and we had a full day ahead of us. but it was one of those moments where you know you'll regret not staying up more than you'll regret the lack of sleep.

I ran inside for my camera and a tripod. I hadn't adjusted my settings ahead of time but after some trial and error I found my way. I still think there's room for improvement on my night photography skills, but this went worlds better than my first attempt in New Zealand.


we played around with silhouettes and framing the sky in trees until my battery died. and then my other battery died. I was a little disappointed... but it was after 2am and sleep sounded pretty amazing. we went inside and crashed, and were [of course] tired the next day.

but I still think it was worth it.


[and for those interested in the setting used: most of these photos were shot at ISO 800 or 1600, between 6 and 15 seconds exposure, with a 22mm lens set at f2]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...